Thursday, September 24, 2009

Ok, we're off!

Ok, so this is my very first blog and I must admit, I am not sure how well it will go. I know that I do like to talk alot. A LOT. But that doesn't mean I can write. I am, however, willing to take that chance. Of course, that does not mean that anyone will read what I have to say. So here goes.

Laser Hair Removal- what's it all about? well, let me tell you. Basically, it's a way of permanently killing off hair follicles so that no new hair can grow. If you have unwanted hair in places you shouldn't or if (like me) you are just too lazy to shave, then laser hair removal is an excellent choice.
Now laser hair removal is not for everyone. There are some stipulations involved. For one, you MUST have enough melanin in the hair to absorb the laser energy. So people who are very fair blondes and some redheads (like me) are not good candidates. You will not get the results you are looking for and basically be wasting your time and money.
People who have very tan or naturally dark skin are also not good candidates. Too much melanin in the skin, can result in too much laser energy being absorbed there and you can end up with hypo-pigmentation (loss of pigment) ,hyper-pigmentation(increased pigment) or burning. Not a good thing!
The best thing to do is you are seeking this type of service is to find a qualified laser hair removal technician in your area and go have a consultation. Most places will not charge you just to go in and talk . Now, the qualifications to provide this service vary from state to state, so I urge you to look up the laws in your state before visiting a clinic. You don't want someone who is under qualified (or not qualified at all) working on your body. I, myself ,am a CME (certified medical electrologist) in the state of Florida, this is the person who would have the most training in hair removal. You may think a doctor would have more training, but you would be wrong. A doctor is NOT required to have ANY hair removal training to operate a laser for hair removal. They can go buy a laser, read the manual and open for business. (I know, scary, right?)
Now I am not knocking the docs, here, but I fully believe in being properly trained for what you are doing I mean, I wouldn't offer to clean your teeth-you get what I'm saying?
If you are a good candidate, the procedure itself is very quick and easy. I use a Candela Gentlelase Plus laser.It's an Alexandrite laser. There are other types of lasers out there , but I just feel it's the very best for the job. Small areas typically take 10-15 minutes per treatment and a full body for a woman can take anywhere from one to three hours. After the treatment, you may experience some slight stinging and redness. This is something that usually goes a way in a few hours. It's best if you don't do any vigorous exercise or swim in chlorine or salt water for
24 hours. Treat your skin like you have a mild sunburn.
The average number of treatments required is about 4-7, and most people start to see results in 5-6.
Overall, I have had great success with my clients and I highly suggest this for someone who really is tired of shaving, waxing and depilatories. Think of all the money you will save on razors!
OK, well, I think that's about it for my first attempt at this . Hope you enjoyed it. Feel free to come back and visit anytime! :)

3 comments:

  1. yay, lisa joined the dark side with us on blogger. lol.
    great first post. very informative!
    loves ya. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the blog world! Informative post. I've spent money on electrolysis with mostly good results. For larger areas, I would definitely use laser.
    http://ljsellers.com

    ReplyDelete