Monday, November 2, 2009

Holding Back The Years

As a woman who is an esthetician, I am always noticing ads for products that claim to "make you  look younger"or "enhance your look in any way". As a woman nearing her 40's I am always noticing ads for products that claim to make you "look younger" or "enhance your look" in anyway. No, it's not deja vu-I did intentionally repeat that.
There are so many new  beauty-enhancing products on the market now. All of them claiming to make us look younger, feel younger, reverse the aging process. You get the idea. Most of them do work-some of them don't.
 I used to always say that I would never use any of these products. I was going to be "all natural" . Yeah, right. When did I say that? When I was 25? Well, now that I am older (and I'd like to think a little wiser) I know that we all want to look good. Sometimes we need a little help. Being in the beauty field, I have had an advantage. I am privy to much more information. I did pay a lot of money to learn this information, but nontheless, I have it. I also keep myself up to date on the latest innovations in the beauty field. I read the magazines, I search the internet. I also use excellent skin care products.
Now, I have not reached the point where I feel I need surgery, but I have had permanent cosmetics, I do regular microdermabrasions, I stay out of the sun ,and like I said, I use EXCELLENT products. Daily care of our skin is the first thing we can do to keep looking young.
We all know the joy of going to a dayspa and having a facial, but the truth is , a "facial" usually consists of an esthetician washing your face and applying products to it. Now these products make our skin feel wonderful and the soft lighting and relaxing music make for a wonderful treat, but in all reality, that is not really what skin care is all about. At least not serious skin care. I promote "clinical skin care" . "What is the difference?" you say.Well, for one, your esthetician should be telling you what products are right for your individual needs. For instance, if you have oily skin, you should be using products that contain no oils of any kind. But, that does not mean you should skip the moisturizer. This is a common mistake made by people who have oily skin. They feel if they use a moisturizer, their skin will become worse. It's just about finding the right products. Your skin can be oily, but lacking moisture. If you use nothing on it, your skin will not get the moisture it needs and therefore become dry. Age can be a factor as well. As we age, our skin thins out and what is right for someone in their twenties may not be right for someone in her forties. It's really all about skin-balancing. You want to use products that keep your skin in perfect balance.
 I find that because I tend to be a little on the oily side, I cannot wear a regular moisturizer in the summer. So I use a serum rich in bio-peptides. It gives me the hydration I need, but I don't feel like my face is a grease pit at the end of the day. I also use an oil-free sunblock. A great one is Minus-Sol. It's a UVA/UVB Sunscreen with an SPF of 30. Oil-free, it has a wonderful matte finish, so you don't feel like you are even wearing sunscreen. In fact, it comes in an ivory tint, so I don't even wear any foundation over it. It contains Octyl Methoxycinnamate, Titanium Diozide, and Zinc Oxide. Find a sunscreen with these ingredients and it's all you will need. Trust me, I'm a professional.
But really, if you find someone who can put you on the right path, you can achieve healthy, younger looking skin. Without spending a fortune. And without surgery. (not that there's anything wrong with that) Your esthetician can really do wonders for you, but home care is crucial. You have to do your part to maintain what has been achieved. Just like going to the dentist. You don't go in for your annual or bi-annual cleaning and then go home and not brush your teeth for six months. Well, skin care is the same. Maintainance is key.There are lots of great skin care products out there. Do your research. Ask questions. Knowledge really IS power. Stay beautiful! Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment