Monday, August 30, 2010

FRAGILE by LISA UNGER

I "met" Lisa Unger a few years back when I first joined Facebook. She was one of the first people to "request' my friendship. I noticed she lived in Clearwater,Florida, as I do and that she was a novelist. I had never heard of her books up until that point, but loving suspenseful books,I was eager to check hers out.
I had a conversation a few days later with my mother and told her of my "discovery" of this "new" author(well, new to me-little did I know she was an international best-seller) and my mother asked me to wait a miniute while she went to grab something. That "something" just happened to Lisa's BEAUTIFUL LIES. We both had a good laugh over the coincidence and from that point book of us have been huge fans of Lisa's novels. I also have had the pleasure of meeting Lisa several time at her book signings since she lives not very far from me. She is a delightful, warm person who you can't help but smile when you talk to her.
Below is my review of her most recent release, the NY Times bestseller, FRAGILE. If you have not read any of Lisa's books, I urge you to pick one (or four) and give them a shot. I guarantee it will be worth the time!

FRAGILE By Lisa Unger  (5 stars)
Sometimes you open a book and it grabs you right from the very first chapter, and doesn't let go till the very end. Of the hundreds of books I have read, there have been a few like that. Books that even after you close them and put them back on the shelf, stay with you for a very long time. Lisa Unger's Fragile is one such book.
I could say that Fragile is the story of a young girl's disappearance. That it is about small town secrets, or families  cracking apart . I could say that because it is all of those things.
This book kept me up nights telling myself "just one more chapter" . It's a suspenseful story set in a small town outside New York City where many residents have lived their whole lives. The kind of of town where almost everyone knows everyone else.
One night a young girl leaves home after arguing with her mother, only to never come home that night. What begins from there is a sequence of events that bring back memories of a similar event 20 years earlier and how it affects those involved. Did she run away, as she stated on her Facebook status? Or was she taken by someone out to do her harm. I don't like to give away too much of a story in a review because I don't want to cheat anyone of of the mysteries and answers  I had the pleasure of discovering myself. I will tell you Fragile is not the first novel I have read by Lisa Unger, and it certainly will not be the last.

2 comments: