Monday, March 23, 2015

IT'S NOT ROCKET SCIENCE...

Today I was out shopping and remembered I wanted to buy a new under eye concealer. I happened to be in Kohl's and decided to look and see what they had available. I was approached by a very friendly sales associate and she asked what I was looking for and if she could offer any help. I told her what I was currently using ,but that I wanted to try something new . I mentioned that I was an esthetician, but I still didn't know EVERYTHING about makeup and was always open to advice, especially on products I was not familiar with. She told me that she was also an esthetician and jokingly asked if the office where I practiced was looking for anyone , even just to help with product sales. She told me she really loved being a salesperson.  I told her I previously worked retail for many years, myself, and how I  really didn't practice much skincare because I was also an electrologist and I now specialized in laser hair removal.

She was very helpful and asked if I had any limits to how much I wanted to spend because there were a few products she would suggest, based on what I explained I was looking for, but she wanted to offer me something I would like that was also in my budget.  She showed me two options, and since I wasn't wearing any makeup, I let her apply them to my face so I could compare them. She was fatastic in her product knowledge and definitely a great salesperson, though not pushy at all. I ended up walking away with a concealer that I really liked and though she did ask if there was anything else she could help me add to my purchase, I felt she was just being genuinely helpful-not just looking to make a big sale. I thanked her and asked if she worked on commission. I wanted her to get the credit for the sale she worked so hard and so well for.

She told me that, no, she did not work on commission and as long as I pay for my purchase, everyone ends up getting credit.  I thought that was a pretty cool attitude to have.

At first I felt a little bad seeing a licensed professional working retail, selling makeup. I remember the years I was in that line of work and how happy I was to get out of it. I felt fortunate that I did work in a clinic and had hours I liked better and was able to use my licensed skills in a "hands on" environment. Then I remembered that if it weren't for this girl and her own skills and experience, I may not have found a concealer that was right for my skin. Hell, I may not have found anything at all. What if I encountered someone who didn't like what they were doing and only cared about earning a  paycheck? This girl actually ENJOYED what she was doing and took pride in helping people with their cosmetic needs. She could be working in a clinic, but loving the sales side of the beauty business, was probably right where she belonged.

Today made me think about how no job is really less important than any other in the overall scheme of things. As long as every person was doing the job they were best suited for, and enjoyed doing it, there were no small jobs. Every job is important in some way. If it weren't, there would be no need for it.

I know that my job isn't like that of a physician, but it did require a lot of training and certification to aquire the ability to do. I still have to take continuing education classes to maintain my certification. Since regulation varies from state to state, some people outside of Florida could not operate a hair removal laser with the license and certification I have alone. There are some states that require less training. I take great pride in what I do and how far I have come to get here. I also really enjoy what I do. I believe that is a huge factor in how I perform at my job,

Everyone should have a job that enjoy. If you don't love what you do, you probably aren't going to do well at it, no matter how much training you have. I know my job is important. I feel it when I see how happy I make someone when they tell me how much they appreciate the help I have given them with getting rid of unwanted hair.

My job may not be "rocket science" but it does fulfill a need. Everyone's job does. It's just different needs for different people. To some people what I do may be more important to them than what a rocket scientist does.

So when you feel like what you do isn't really that important or requires that much skill, think about this: only an actual Rocket Scientist practices "rocket science".


Trust me. Redheads know best.

No comments:

Post a Comment